Help Working Families Get Ahead!
Become a United Way Volunteer Budget Coach.
Budget Coaches play a crucial role in helping participants create and maintain a budget, pay bills on time and save for the future.
United Way seeks Volunteer Budget Coaches to provide financial education and tools to working families in central and northeastern Connecticut. This is a unique volunteer opportunity in which you will work one-on-one with a participant to set and meet attainable financial goals.
What is volunteer budget coaching (VBC)?
VBC is an opportunity for caring volunteers to assist working families on their paths to financial security. Budget coaches provide advice and assistance to participants in creating and meeting attainable personal financial goals. During a six month period, together they identify net earnings, track expenses, reduce spending, increase savings and revenue, and create and utilize a budget so participants learn to better manage their financials in the future.
Volunteer Budget Coaches have the opportunity to:
- Learn valuable skills;
- Receive coaching training; and,
- Make a difference in the communities where they live and work.
Basic volunteer requirements:
- Complete the application and attend free training and orientation;
- Strong interpersonal communication skills;
- Willingness to have an open and honest conversation about finance;
- Must commit to monthly meetings with program participants; meeting times are flexible, and will be determined by the coach and participant; and,
- Support participants’ efforts between meetings with occasional phone calls and emails.
Financial background is not required. Bilingual volunteers strongly encouraged to apply.
All interested volunteers must attend six hours of training.
Now is your chance to help connect families with opportunities for a better life. When families are financially secure, our entire community succeeds.
Volunteer Budget Coaching is just one way that United Way and our partners connect ALICE and other hard-working people with opportunities to get ahead.
For more information,
Please email Maura Cook or call (860) 493-1131.
Download Recruitment Flyer: